Here are quotes from Washington Redskins Head Coach Jim Zorn, Defensive Coordinator Greg Blache,…
Ranking The Redskins: 1-10
10. Andre Carter, defensive end—He knocked on the door of the club of elite defensive ends last year with 10.5 sacks and a number of big plays. With Jason Taylor on the other side, he could break into that group.
9. London Fletcher, middle linebacker—Not just a tackling machine but a classy, heady leader on defense.
8. Marcus Washington, outside linebacker—He seems to be healthy after a couple of banged-up seasons. This is another player helped by the acquisition of Taylor as it will allow him to be a three-down standup linebacker instead of putting his hand in the dirt at end on passing downs.
7. Ethan Albright, long snapper—OK, go ahead and blast me for putting a guy who does only one thing. But he did it well enough to earn a trip to Hawaii last year. I hate to think about life after the Red Snapper.
6. Shawn Springs, cornerback—His reputation for being injury prone is way over blown. Except for 2006, when he missed seven games, he's played in 46 of 48 games. Springs' ball hawking skills returned to him down the stretch last year.
5. Jason Taylor, defensive end—He has at least one, maybe two top-notch seasons left in him. If he's not a liability against the run, he makes a good defense even better (see Carter and Washington above).
4. Chris Cooley, tight end—There's a bit of concern here that his off-field fame could interfere with his on-field play. Just a bit, however. If he could block, he'd be at the top of this list.
3. Clinton Portis, running back—His blocking, especially on blitz pickups, makes him a special back. Less could be more for Portis in '08 a lighter work load should make him more effective.
2. LaRon Landry, safety—A perfect combination of great instincts and body-rocking hitting ability. The more experience and smarts get added to the mix the better he will get.
1. Chris Samuels, left tackle—Yes, I saw him get jacked up by Peppers last week. There is a lot more of going weeks on end without hearing his name than there are issues like that.
Rich Tandler blogs about the Skins at RealRedskins.com and he is the author of the upcoming book The Redskins Chronicle. You can reach Rich by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
DCProFootball.com Recommended Stories
Odell Beckham makes catch of the year
Former LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham made what has to be the most incredible catch of the NFL season. Check out the highlight reel grab!Read More
OU's Perine rushes into record books
Norman has seen a lot of special days, but few will compare to what Samaje Perine did Saturday in rushing for 427 yards and five touchdowns.Read More
College Week 13: 10 Saturday Takeaways
Breaking down all the battles that mattered this weekend.Read More
5 NHL Teams with Tailgating Crazy Fans
When it comes to tailgating, football might be the first sport that comes to mind, but don’t underestimate hockey. The NHL has some of the most passionate fans in all of sports, and they don’t let up…Read More
Apache Administers Death to Taliban (VIDEO)
The Apache helicopter is one of the most famed and efficient killing machines in the U.S Army. Get the skinny on this 'steel dragon' and watch what one does to a platoon of Taliban fighters in…Read More